Thursday, September 07, 2006

Is this guy weird or what?

Ever wondered what my last post was about? Well, thing is, I was rummaging through my harddrive searching for some old mp3s of the last band I was in to send to my friend Kristoffer that used to be a drummer in the very same band. While finding the mp3s, I also found my library of lyrics I wrote for all different bandprojects I was in. Slow Aggressor was one of those songs that never got finished. Anyway, I once got accused of writing to obscure and nonsensical lyrics on a forum. So, that's why I explained the thought behind each line of lyrics. Problem is, I think I never got down to actually post the damn explanation. So, quite some years overdue, there it is: The explanation and defense of my lyrical style.

Anyway, more interesting is, while being in that dark corner of my harddrive I found some even more exciting (well for me it is) stuff just lying around collecting virtual dust. Something I thought had been destroyed in a harddrive crash way back. My old Doom 2 level designs; a wad file of 7 complete levels that was never shared properly outside my own circle of friends. It's just a novelty today, of course, but it brings back lots of fun memories of fiddling with level designs and concepts.

I'm thinking of posting it here later. Since I think they deserve to be spread. They never really got the chance back in the days. I designed them with an early version of Doom Construction Kit back when Doom 2 was fairly new, and stuck with a 14.4k modem and no real possibility of hosting them online. Internet back in -95/96 was primitive and limited, mark my words, compared to today although we tend to forget that.

I also found most of the units I designed for Warlords 3 Dark Lords Rising, although they actually did get their chance. I used to have a site over at Angelfire where people could download them, and I had made some like 16 or so unique units for the game, some with original graphics, some modified from existing game units. Some became really popular in the community, such as the Plague Lords, Hay Golem, Succubus, Halfling Braves and Halfling Warriors and made it into some of the largest fan-additions for the game. However, my Warlords 3 site met a grisly and grim fate, as anglefire pulled the plug on it. They said it hadn't been active for over half a year and withotu warning shut it down. Mark my surprise as I had edited it just a month before and had at least 5-10 visitors each day. Shame, since I forever lost my campaign map that I had taken a lot of time to design and balance, as well as 2-3 units I never took backups for. Oh well. Shit happens.

Anyway, I'll get back to the Doom 2 levels when I finish out which version of my wad is the most complete. Not that I think anyones really that interested, but if someone actually is, it'd be a shame to not post it.

No comments: