Thursday, June 29, 2006

The underlying reasons...

So why are you making a boardgame Johan? What is the purpose of it all and what do you expect to achieve? Just out for a quick buck or are what is your ultimate motivation?

The thing is, I just love games. All sorts of games, and I am very fascinated by game design. As much from a mechanical standpoint as well as an aesthetical. I do it all for the love of the game media.

Making a boardgame is my first try at showing my skills at game design. I start with something small, while still trying my skills at combining game mechanics balancing with storytelling. It's a fun art, complex yet simple. Inspiring. Creative. Creating a game, no matter how small or simple is like creating a world. And what can be more fascinating than that? Setting your own natural laws and playing god with what is right and what is wrong in your creation.

I have many ideas and visions, so many dreams, and I wish to make at least some of them reality. It's just not all limited to boardgames, no. My dream is to be able to move on to computer game design given the chance. There is so many stories I want to tell, stories that make a difference. I want to be able to create fun enjoyable games, but still tell a story and a message. I want to reflect our world, our human weakness, our human strengths, in visions portrayed within the games. There is so much that can be done within the compputer game media, that the possibilities are endless. I want to provoke, and I want to please.

But most of all I just want to tell stories, stories that matter, and I want to do it on the media I love the most. The media with the most possiblities, and the most interesting audience. And I just want to entertain and hope to spread some joy into the world.

This is my first step into the the known unknown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! I've seen Linda's work. This game is going to be astounding!